Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Photog Inspiration - JERRY SCHATZBERG

JERRY SCHATZBERG

— In 1962 Alex Liberman, the artistic director of Vogue, asked me to do a series in which he wanted to reflect different shapes, different than what we normally see the model doing. He wanted this because the collections from Paris were of different shapes.
I used to spend a lot of time at the Palladium on Broadway, watching the real people dance the Cha Cha Cha and although their clothes were not what you would find in Vogue, I thought their movements were as elegant as anything I had ever seen. So I hired two dancers from West Side Story and in my studio I had them dance, and when I liked a movement, I would have the model copy it. In order to make it appropriate for Vogue I would just give them a little extra to do like ….holding a glass of wine, holding a compact, managing a cat or dog and the accompanying photos were the result. Whenever I look at them I can hear the music and feel their movements.

 I find him and his amazing ability to have a vision & think of so many creative ways to bring his visions to life. Please take the time to look at his utterly inspiring works at his website :
www.jerryschatzberg.com
    
                                                                                he is just fantastic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment